A new school council is elected each year, with every Year Group from Reception to Y6 nominating representatives. There are 2 representatives from each Year Group. All school council representatives are elected by their peers at the beginning of each academic year.This creates a central group that speaks on behalf of the whole school and makes decisions about school life. We value the opinions of our pupils and the School Council gives pupils a forum to share these opinions with the Headteacher and other members of staff.
Jade Ashdown- School Council (Teacher representative)
What do we aim to do this year.
In the 2021/22 school year the school council aim to do the following;
- School council representatives meet regularly to discuss their views and be heard.
- Create a fundraising plan for the year and how the money will be used.
- Design with action plan based on what students want for the school year.
- Set up fundraising for a Pupil decided charity
- Organize more events (such as a talent show and discos). Better our links with the community to ask for help with this.
- Write a school council policy.
- Create a constitution about what we do.
- Support the school to learn more about British Values namely Democracy. Democracy comes from a Greek word. It means ‘rule by the people’.
- Create and implement a fundraising plan for the year and also decided how the money will be used in school.
- Plan of curriculum days based on interest of students.
What have we achieved.
- Wrote a policy for school council.
- Created a constitution about what we do.
- Created a display area within school where information was displayed.
School Council Blog – What have we been doing.
Children in Need: the School Council voted on a Pyjama day to raise money for Children in Need. Each person will donate a £1 online to avoid cash handling. The School Council are also running a colouring competition which they will judge. School Council Members spent some time creating posters to raise awareness of the event around the school.